1. Log into your Google account
2. Go to Google Docs
3. Click on Upload
4. Choose file
Types of files that you can upload:
Documents (up to 500KB)
* HTML files and plain text (.txt).
* Microsoft Word (.doc), Rich Text (.rtf), OpenDocument Text (.odt) and StarOffice (.sxw).
Presentations (up to 10MB from your computer, 2MB from the web, 500KB via email)
* Microsoft PowerPoint (.ppt, .pps).
Spreadsheets (up to 1MB)
* Comma Separated Value (.csv).
* Microsoft Excel (.xls) files and OpenDocument Spreadsheet (.ods).
PDF Files (up to 10MB from your computer, 2MB from the web)
5. File opens after upload
6. Download file as i.e.: Word (.doc) OpenDocument (.odt) PDF, Text, HTML, …
Plus you get a (security) copy on your Google account. Saving files locally at your desktop is overrated, anyway.